View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 05:46 PM

Here's the review. I had removed the axle on Sunday. The boots came today at 3:30 and everything was back in place by 5.

First, to clear up a misunderstanding. The Astoria boots are made of silicone rubber and they are thinner than stock boots. This should work to advantage, as they should be less bothered by heat. Hopefully they are strong enough to not be damaged by road debris. Time will tell.

The later axles make rebooting easier, because the inner CV is held in place by a single snap ring. Undo it, and the joint pops off the shaft, allowing the new boots to slip right on. The Astoria boot is a general purpose part. The cone is shaped in steps, you cut away whatever you don't need. I found that on the inner joint, this worked just about perfectly. On the outer joint, the boot was a bit short when it was trimmed down to the correct diameter. It may not matter, but again, time will tell. I also found that it's hard to stretch the boot over the cup when it's all greasy. I think I can now do it without a problem, having had this practice. But the first one was really challenging. That said, I won't be investing in a boot tool.

The clamps that came with the boots were OUTSTANDING. Last time, I had to go through several sets before I found clamps that fit correctly and held tight. These are general purpose, so they have to be cut to length. Once that's done, they worked beautifully. The crimp area is very large...about 1/4", so you can get them really tight.

And so, done. I think I'd use them again.