View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
Bodhi, great work! What welding machine are you using? I took basic stick welding at my local community college winter before last. I was the resident geezer in a room full of 18-25 year olds. Only one other guy older than that. I was the only guy wearing a respirator also.... After one ~2 hour session early in the course welding without one, I blew my nose and it wasn't pretty.... Wore one from then on. I really enjoyed the course.
I have a Lincoln 210 MP which will do stick, MIG and TIG. Only thing it does not do is AC, so I can't TIG aluminum (but I can get a MIG spool gun). It's a really cool machine. It was not super cheap but for the price it does a lot, and will allow me to continue expanding my skills.
I've been wearing a respirator even though I'm not doing anything heavy now. I'm trying to keep the ventilation good but obviously I don't have any kind of extractor. I have been putting a couple fans pointed away to draw the fumes off a bit, and put the car near the garage doors and had them wide open. I also had a lot of fire extinguishers, a squirt bottle, a hose ready and a bucket of water nearby. I'm an elaborate worrier, but I think it's a good thing in this case.
Also, I know what it's like to be the odd duck in the class, since I was the only woman in mine! I was a bit worried going in, but everyone was really nice ... no one seemed to care about age, gender, background etc. It's a great skill to learn at any stage, and I'm glad I did it!
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)