View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 09:09 PM

It must be an American thing...that's why German cars never used to have cup holders in them and if I'm correct, Porsches still don't. For some reason, people on this side of the pond always find it imperative to have something to drink and/or eat with them in the car! I lived in Germany for 7 years and when people drive over there, that's what they do...drive! When you're going 100+ on the Autobahn, holding a drink could prove fatal. I realize we travel at much slower speeds over here, but still yet, this is truly an American phenomenon. In Europe (or at least in Germany) there's a time to dine, and there's a time to drive. Sounds logical to me. I'm not being condescending here, I just think the differences are interesting and intriguing.

One more note: I detail cars as a side job, nice new cars too. Lexus, Acura and BMW to name a few. It absolutely leaves me dumbfounded when I clean these things and find crumbs, wrappers, sticky unidentifiable substances, spilled drinks etc strewn across the interiors of these expensive late model cars with no more than a few ten thousand miles on them. Under the seats, between the seats and the console, in all the buttons, in the shift gate, in all cracks imaginable, all ash trays packed... The interiors of these things are just barely short of destroyed. If someone spilled something in their home, it would be reasonable to immediately clean it up right? And most people do. Then how is a $40,000+ luxury car any different?? Now comes the testament as to why people should leave drinks and food out of cars, esp. nice ones! My car has almost 170,000 miles on it and is 17 years old. It has never in its life has it had food or drinks comsumed in it and I can tell you that the interior of the car including all carpet looks absolutely showroom perfect. M-i-n-t condition. No exaggeration here.

I wonder if there is a tie here to the increasing epidemic of obesity in America...hmm. I read that at the rate we are moving, in a few short years 40% of Americans will be obese...not overweight...obese! Whatever happened to 3 meals a day? Why now just one stretched out day long meal?

I guess I just don't get it

"A Mercedes-Benz is like a fine wine, it only gets better with age."