Thread: Non Ethanol gas
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 09:15 AM
is thinning the herd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrvergnugen View Post
Arguably, he replied to my first post in this thread; if he indeed only replied to the above, then I am understandably confused.
You advised I do some research, I advise, I've done it.

So now what you are saying is knowing the dangers of E10 your friend intentionally blew up his Corrado just to save a buck! Oh my gosh.

I'm telling you, if you're going to try to make the argument that 20+ year old rubber was entirely fine until around 10% ethanol blend hit it, I disagree.

I am intimately aware of the chemistry of rubber compounds and how some chemicals can affect them. Older compounds of rubber can certainly be broken down over time by ethanol based fuels.

However, you usually have dry rotting and cracking externally long before ethanol melts a rubber hose. If you or your friend is trying to make the argument his fire was solely resultant from E10, he is covering up for the fact that he'd probably never inspected the rubber hoses on his car.

I've run E10, literally my entire life, I've never had a rubber hose melt. I think I just crested 100 cars owned.

Pure Gas won't exist for much longer, and it's already nearly impossible to find so I hope a lot of people can come to terms with its use. Going to need to get bus passes soon otherwise.

This isn't all that dissimilar from when guys in Diesel Discussion dump Synthetic oil into a 40 year old OM615 that's never been touched and was leaking like a sieve before and notice a little more leaking, and then blame all the leaks on the oil.

Unless you've been driving at something entirely different. In that case, we should just get a beer and be confused friends.

Nissan GTR - Nissan Skyline GTS25T - Toyota GTFour - Rover Mini - Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60 - Cadillac Eldorado - BMW E30 - BMW 135i