View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Not so amused

Sorry I beamed into this thread a little late.

I went through weeks of frustration on mine last year. Luckily the key was still turning at the time. But just.

I had the same problem as the OP, nothing seemed to want to release the tumbler assembly. I watched all the YT videos and got advice from several people on this forum.

Finally someone suggested trying to turn the locking ring with channel lock pliers while the 'rod' was inserted. Sure enough it moved... just.

From what I can tell, on the previous install whomever did it managed to mess up the threads on the lock assembly. OR, possibly they used the wrong part number. There are two ring part numbers, for early/late cars.

However, after all that... I installed the new tumbler and the key action was still notchy. (Imagine the pure bliss of that moment.)

I ended up dropping the column and replacing everything for good measure: electrical switch and complete column lock assembly (+ of course new lock ring).

Also I seem to recall there was a thread at some point about others having issues with premature failure of OE steering column locks? Sorry memory not helping me on that one.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22