View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 12:48 AM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Son-in-law had it done. It took 5-6 months but he's now got complete use and claims to feel completely normal. He loaded my 20' trailer full of wet carpet with just enough help to grab the other end.

(we're going to use the carpet to stabilize a pond overflow spillway that has a tendency to erode. I cut 2-3 ft, 1/2" rebar and am welding scrap plate on one end and sharpening the other to act as nails to hold the carpet down until grass growths through it. Think it will work? I dunno. But the carpet is free in South Louisiana right now ....)
Sounds plausible. Do you mean you weld on a round or square bit of plate with the rebar in the middle like an actually giant nail?

For some reason when I first read it I was thinking of a square bit, say 1 ft.² with rebar on each corner. That might be overkill though, A single piece in the middle ought to be good.

I keep reading of the surgery not working, I see those accounts about as often as it working. I also had the long head of the biceps rupture, that's one of the upper two tendons on the biceps. Almost like one of those evolutionary accidents, it fails much more often than the short head and you can get by without it but the muscle looks funny. Yields a Popeye bulge. And you lose some twisting power, supination I think they call it, used for turning a screwdriver for example.

John Elway won two Super Bowls with the long head tendon on his throwing arm ruptured and not repaired. He put mine back on.