View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplinville View Post
My neighbor is my hunter by proxy...I take care of his firearms, and he provides me venison for my freezer, since I am unable to get out and hunt anymore. He and his wife also process the meat for me, so I couldn't tell you how big the rack was, or even if it was a buck. What I can say is that I have two of them in my freezer now, with a promise of a third at a later date. I also have 4 cotton tail rabbits that he got a short time ago for me.

He's at his camp right now, hunting black bear. He's promised me a bit of bear meat, if he gets one. It's been 4 years since he got his last one. Never having had it before, I'm real interested in how it tastes.
Decades ago I was a member of a Sportsmen's club that put on an annual Game Dinner. Almost exclusively white folks but lots of first and second generation Euro ethnics, German, Polish, Russian, Italians, Portuguese I've had bear cooked quite a few ways.

The best as in most normal or regular preparation was as "corned bear" prepared just like corned beef, salted and spiced for some time and then boiled, it was flavorful and tender. The other dish was a "sulze" which is a German recipe that is a type of head cheese but with vinegar and aromatics as the main seasonings. Served chilled and sliced on rye bread with sliced onions, pickles mustard and black pepper. It was very tasty, very sort of hearty, lots of flavor.