View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stokes View Post
It's actually an early '02. I have to order parts for it as an '01 as there was a mid-year change and mine was before that change. Ordering '01 parts gets me the right thing every time. I think some of the parts guys around here think I have 2 of them as I'll order parts for an '01 but if they need the VIN it is, of course, for an '02.

Dan
Just wondered, I don't know anything about those from that era.

I do know that would be a 24 valve since they started in 98.5 I believe, I don't know what the model split at 01.5 entailed.

That's pretty good mpg, I had a 92 D250 5 speed that got 25 or better on the highway unladen (Monty Python reference there).

I have owned 6 or 7, all 12 valve first gen trucks (89-93). Down to one now, a 92 D350 dually 5 speed manual standard cab. Most reliable vehicles I've ever owned over 40 years of driving and 100+ cars, which seems odd for an early 90's Chrysler product. My 84 diesel Rabbit was close second. Must be that engine wiring harness with 3 or 4 plugs.

Dodge seems to be almost VW-like in their ability to split model years, haha. I have a 2005.5 Jetta gas car and I have to order 2006 parts to get the right stuff. I believe the Cummins 12 valve intercooler started in 91.5 as did the new front grille design to feed the intercooler. Order for a 91 and you'll get the 89 era non intercooled engine and front end design.

I'm new to Benzes so I don't know if they are the same on these weird model year splits, or not. I've learned from VW's to just go with the VIN.

Unlike what I've seen from my Benz, my Cummins trucks WILL obscure entire sections of highway in smoke if I have to floor it to merge onto the highway, and that is in stock tune.

Joe