View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Master hull craftsman

I've made some progress here and there. I got the center bearing and drive shaft assembly ready to go. I got the first piece of rust repair welded in. The whole area below the weld I'm pointing at was basically gone from rust. I think it is structural so I had to do it right. My first welding with this machine and it's been a couple years. The fact that it was out of position(welding upwards)and thinner material than I'm used to didn't help but I got it after some machine adjustment and trial and error. I probably should have hacked out a little more of the outer to get the inner on the top side but oh well. It's in nice and solid. I got the filler piece fabbed up for the outer. I also removed the majority of the undercoating I needed to address the rest of the rust in the foot wells. The rest isn't structural so the thinner material used is so much easier to massage into place. No wonder these cars are so heavy. The rubber is over a 1/4" thick in many places. Plus it's so thick if there is a rust issue under it it hides it until it's too late. Once I got this metal work all buttoned up the subframe and fuel system can go back in. Coming along nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
1978 450SLC Super beater/lemons race car-20170124_050150%7E2.jpg  

Last edited by rwd4evr; 01-25-2017 at 11:49 AM.