View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec300SD View Post
Air leaking into fuel, delivery valves, pump elements, gummed up IP, collapsed motor and transmission mounts, idle set too low.

The injector hard lines are first filled from the rearmost cylinder, so the number one cylinder hard line is the last to get filled.
A small air leak will tend to give symptoms on the first cylinder.
There should be no visible air in any of the clear hard lines.

If the shake at idle is worse after a long hard freeway run, it's probably the deliver valve seals and/or springs.

If the idle shake is the same when engine is hot or cold, it's probably a gummed up IP or collapsed motor and transmission mounts.

For a gummed up IP, I'd try running a couple of cans of Diesel Purge (or ATF) directly through the IP with an under the hood mini-tank to bypass the main fuel tank.
Get the engine good and hot right before the Diesel Purge.

The lift pump is recharged or in these systems topped off might be a better term only once on a total rotational cycle of the injection pump.

On a fuel system in good condition this is fine. You might have an answer I have been curious about for some time. What element loads first after the top off?

I figured I might have to have a look at the crankshaft lobes in the injection pump to verify what I though. Maybe you can spare me this. I had a supposition that it was the first element from some effects I have observed. If I am wrong I will have to do a rethink about something.

I thought you would check back on this this thread and might reply. I am not trying to steal the thread. It may take the poster a little time to get back to us with some milli volt readings if he does them. Personally I think it is in his interest to get them.

I am not interested in the firing order of the engine. Just what element loads first after the lift pump tops up.