View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greazzer View Post
Congradts !

Not sure if you did this, but I would toss a penny in a coffee can for each gallon of WVO I burned versus diesel. On January 1st, I would count those pennies and multiply that by my estimation of what a gallon of diesel cost. Some years, it was a surprising amount, over $3,000 ....
That's a great idea! I use diesel to start/warm up the engine, then switch to veg. I mostly drive long distance. I try to stretch a gallon of diesel to 200 miles and usually do that. That's about 9 gallons of WVO to 1 gallon of diesel. I have had some mechanical hiccups in the past that caused my average to fall for a while though. (Turned out to be a clogged anti-backup valve in my Davco filter...I just took that valve out with a pair of needle nose pliers...it's a ball in cage rig) I have all my receipts for every drop of diesel I have bought over the years. Last time I added it all up, a couple years ago, I figured I had saved 3500 gallons of diesel by that time. That was probably 20,000 miles ago. Since then I have had much better WVO operations so I've probably used 100 gallons of diesel and 900 gallons of WVO to get me that 20,000 miles. It's messy as hell but it definitely works!

I tip the guys at the restaurants a few bucks when I pick up my WVO. I probably pay an average of 50 cents a gallon. Depending on the price of diesel, I've been saving between $1.50 and nearly $4 a gallon. If you average it out, I've probably saved over $6000 in fuel over the years. On top of that, though, I get to claim reimbursement for mileage since I drive it a lot for business. In any case, the car has paid for itself in fuel savings alone.

Jim