View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM

This is an area many have problems with mentally. I have a non Mercedes car that I suspect the front shocks are not as good as they should be. It passes the bounce test. The only test that to me is totally valid is to drive a similar car with new components. If yours are still decent the car will handle the same. If not you should feel the difference.

That was also an excellent description of how the spheres work. Back In the days I drove the fintail the car was very shock condition sensitive. It to me is reasonable that the internal valving wears slowly with use.

I have little faith in the bounce test. Other than It will show a totally shot shock. At the same time if a shock is that bad it should be noticeable when you drive. The shocks in tandem from side to side contribute to a sway bar effect as well. The nose of the car tends to tip to the lower side easier as you turn the weaker they get.

On certain brands the original makers of the shocks brand should always be used as replacements. Some alternative brands of aftermarket shocks may only last a few weeks in service.