View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 PM

New member and new 1976 Mercedes-Benz 300D owner

Hello,

Back in the day I had a 1986 BMW 635CSi, which I owned for 5 years from '09 to '14. It was a fun car and many things broke on it, which I fixed myself. Then I sold it, moved to New York City for a couple years, and then Atlanta, where I've not had a car for a year until now. So, we got a 300D, because the gas mileage is great--less greenhouse gases than many gassers, it's a relatively simple car to fix, it is fashionable, and the particular car we bought is near - mint! It's great but when we get a chance to move back to New York you may see it up for sale unless we can somehow afford a garage in the city.

Here are pictures. It's a Colorado Beige car with a Mahogany interior. 1 owner until 2016, all original. The radio still works, and it plays clear as a bell. 131,000 original miles, but the odometer went out in the last year and I need to get it repaired. It was owned by the mayor of Lawrenceville, GA and was stored in an air-tight container from the late 1990's to 2016.

Repairs done:
  • Horsehair padding replaced with foam last week
  • Sealed up vacuum/electrical lines in the door panels with RTV caulk to prevent water from leaking in from sill drains - the old insulating hoses were cracked and new ones are expensive and hard to replace

Repairs to do:
  • Makes squealing noise upon acceleration in 2nd gear after it rains, need to have checked (strange coincidence)
  • A bit of water gets into the driver's side back seat when it rains. I suspect the cracked windshield gasket, which I am having repaired this week.
  • Fix vacuum leak in door locks
  • Fix odometer
  • Fix dash clock
  • .... and I think that's it!

Warm Wishes,

Henry C.