View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM

I won't predict long-term reliability because I thought the Prius would be a problem w/ battery life and replacement cost, but they seem to have exceeded most expectations. The Tesla Li-ion batteries do seem more questionable. Sure you can make an electric car by stacking a bunch of laptop PC batteries (original Tesla), but not very practical. The Model 3 is a different model w/ custom battery design and manufacturing, but Li-ion still worries me. I have several laptop PC's whose batteries only last 2 min now so must always run on the AC adapter. Replacement batteries are $150, so not worth fixing.

Re range and re-charging, how far does it go if you run the AC and/or travel into a head-wind? Tesla no longer offers free charging. They said it will cost "less than filling up a gas car", which sounds possibly quite expensive. Where I live, as your home electrical use goes up you are charged Tier II rates, which are almost double. I strive to stay in Tier I, and couldn't with an EV. People in rentals (~50% population?) can't easily install home charging. If you rely on a charger at work, what happens if you get laid-off? With public chargers, you risk getting there and finding all stations occupied. My wife took a short trip in her friend's Tesla. It was an adventure. They first had to drive 16 mi in the opposite direction to charge charge 20 min for enough to make the 50 mi trip, then 40 min charging there to drive her home, then more charging for her friend to get back to the Bay. Kind of like the early pioneers venturing out in Model T's.