View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendogg View Post
I think by 'cheat on taxes' you actually mean 'our tax system is so entirely, completely ****ed that they tax the hell out of us on multiple fronts whenever possible'. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to pay a 'road and use' tax. The federal, state & local governments need to collect X dollars of tax revenue to pay for government services (including building & maintaining roads. Why can't these revenue sources be completely streamlined? The FairTax would eliminate dozens of separate taxes. There's simply no reason for it to be this complicated.

So, in essence - you can look at the current EV lack of road use tax as a giant F*CK YOU to the government.
I dont know where you got your idea from but globally, road tax is collected through fuel sales as the vehicles using the roads are going to be buying fuel. This fuel can be anything and in the future this fuel will be "electricity".

I would like to see you do a giant "FU" and refuse to pay this new fuel tax.. Infact you can do it right now - buy a diesel mercedes and just fill it up with agricultural red diesel. No road tax to pay on that. The only reason your land is lax on this avenue is because EVs are a needle in the haystack, once EVs become the haystack - the game will be changed, including rules/laws/taxes.

as I mentioned above, I worked for about 5 years in places where different fuels were being introduced and every single one hurt and had problems. Introduce CNG and after a year everyones gas bill is shot through the roof. introduce LPG and suddenly LPG costs 200% - even for the rural dweller. In this case - introduce EVs and you bet electricity will be expensive, and to make a segregated tax system for them they would have to introduce more point of failures (like tracking mileage)

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)