View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 01:59 AM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DiSilvestro View Post
Considering your experience with the Classic Center, and the poor design or poor quality of many replacement parts these days, air-cleaner mounts are something I'd probably try to fabricate myself.
Using wafers cut from 1/4" rubber fuel-hose, longer 6mm bolts and 3 suitable-sized fender-washers, I think I could make some that would last indefinitely!

Happy Motoring, Mark
I am using 6 CRP (I guess--one of the six doesn't match and the rest say REIN on the label) rubber buffers and am going to remove the threaded studs and drill through the center of them, and place some on the inside of the air cleaner as well as the outside (there is 14mm of clearance between the bottom surface of the air cleaner housing and the bottom of the air filter). That way the air cleaner is sandwiched and can flex up and down instead of only one direction and then jarring.

I didn't want to use fuel hose because it's not wide (sturdy) enough and the rubber buffers should have a more suitable shore hardness. An M6 1.0 bolt will thread into the threads in the bracket from underneath with a split washer and get a coupling nut tightened against it to keep it snug and from rotating.

Then the heat shield, some fender washers, and a rubber buffer slides over that. Then the air cleaner fits on top. Then another rubber buffer cut down to about 10mm fits over the threads and then a flathead joint connector nut screws down onto the threads and fits a couple millimeters over the top of the upper buffer and then the end of the bolt threads max out against the top of the joint connector nut and holds it tight while also compressing the mounts just enough.

It's a bit complicated but will be more clear once I complete the project.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles