View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 02:32 PM

No way to be proactive overall until you get the car. The true overall milage plus any past service records knowledge can help. On most of my 123 purchases I got very little information. . On a high milage example the list to increase general reliability in service can be quite extensive.

Window seals etc should not be replaced if they are still fine.

So much depends on if the car was maintained in general over the last period of time. Or just neglected in general.

Today it probably pays off more than ever to attempt to locate a really good example initially. A pre purchase examination by a competent mechanic familiar with these models can be very important.

He may be the best bet to tell you if the condition of the car is somewhat consistant with the current odometer reading. Many need really extensive work. Odometers well shy of the true overall milage are very common on these cars.

You would be really surprised how much money and time to do it all even yourself can add up. Paid for service to attend to all the needs is impractical usually. These are thirty to forty year old cars remember. So unless past owners have been diligent there usually will be a list of needs.

Currently unless good fortune played a part. I might have to spend a fair amount of money in just finding a good 123 example. It would not be found in the area we live in.Really good ones are not falling out of the trees either.

Add to the list things like if the oil cooler hoses have never been changed or seem to be the originals. Change them as they can cost you the engine. Inspect and clean out the fuel system if the need is indicated. Inspect and repack the front wheel bearings. Inspect the brakes and repair where indicated and change out the rubber brake hoses in the system. Flush the brake system as well. A real general tuneup and check of the timing chain for wear. Plus the valve adjustments. Simply because all too many people believe if a diesel runs it does not require it.