View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 06:56 PM

Brake fluid boner... some help with flushing needed

Well, I finally got to installing my new rear calipers my W210. Didn't seem like a bad job at all... fairly straightforward. I did however pull a major boner when I was done and mistakenly followed advice on using DOT 5 fluid. A big bummer as I discovered afterwards when I was googling about trying to evacuate the air from the system. In short, I began bleeding the right rear caliper... got that lovely purple color, then nothing but foam! @$#%!

I now know the error of my ways and would like to know how to properly (if possible) flush the DOT 5 out of the system. At this point, I believe it's only at the rear right caliper (where I began bleeding) and the reservoir.

I've read of some preferring the DOT 5, but still recommend flushing beforehand. I'd like to return to DOT 4 and my thought is to evacuate the reservoir, pull the calipers off, then flush the system with some denatured alcohol. Does anyone have any experience with that? I've read on some other forums that folks have successfully flushed their systems with alcohol (including calipers, etc.,) but they don't give much in the way of specifics.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

-l-
other fine diesels...
'99 Polaris diesel (Fuji Heavy Industries single)
'01 Diesel Trail gator (Yanmar triple)
'95 John Deere 970 (Yanmar quad)
'11 BMW 335d
'12 VW Jetta TDI

'00 BMW K1200LT
'02 BMW R1150RS

'15 BMW R1200GSA