View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Minor updates and more baby steps:

Done over 1K miles with the new brake pads. Still working well and still no black wheels. I'm a happy camper!

The intermittent squeak noise has returned. It only happens at specific temperatures, and only when I have an injector nailing. If I crack the line to the nailing injector (#6), the noise stops. Not sure if it's the injector, the IP, the D/V, or what. The injectors are slated to be sent off to Greazzer for analysis and rebuild. Tired of messing with them.

I caught a case of diesel bug from a truly horrible tank of fuel about the time I did the brake pads. The tank has been treated with Bio-Bor, so we'll see how it turns out. Got the little "coffee grind" looking flecks in the prefilter. Annoying since that tank was PRISTINE before that ***** tank of fuel.

The weird throttle setup was really getting to me too, so I decided to go back to square 1 and readjust the entire throttle linkage setup. The first thing I did was throw the FSM page on setting rod lengths in the trash. They were all adjusted to the book and clearly that was only a suggestion because things still didn't line up quite right.

I disconnected all the rods except for the one connected to the injection pump. I set it so that when the throttle pivot was moved, it would go all the way to the full rack stop and when released, all the way back to idle. Next I adjusted the cruise control rod. It was about 5mm too long when adjusted to the book spec, so I adjusted it to fit MY setup. I now have it moving full-stroke along with the rod to the IP lever. Lastly I adjusted the accelerator pedal rod to fit my new setup.

With the new adjustments, the accelerator pedal now moves the throttle assembly all the way through its range of motion and the A/C cutout switch now actually does something. The crank for the bowden cable also now goes through its entire range, which it never has before. I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes common sense should reign above what the stupid book says. When driving, the throttle feel is much improved.

The last thing I've done lately is to delete the ALDA. With the A/C off, the car accelerates just fine, but with it on, it's really a dog off the line. I've had several people howling at me for years to ditch the ALDA and I finally decided to try it. I had an old ALDA that was pretty clapped out, so I gutted it, blocked off the sensing port, and reinstalled the bolt in the top so it looks factory. What a difference! It's like someone lit a fire under that car, it just about leaps off the line now! Unless you're really romping on it, it doesn't seem to smoke either, so deleting the ALDA will be a permanent modification.

Coming soon: rear springs and pads.

Black Sheep:
1985 524TD 167K (TotalDumpster™)

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 300SDL (RIP)
1991 350SD
1991 560SEL
1990 560SEL
1986 500SEL Euro (Rusted to nothing at 47K!)