View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Learn me on loop style glow plugs + manual trans shifter bushings (240D)

Hey Folks,

1st Question

last week my 72 220D (240D swap) stopped glowing. I figured it needed plugs and replaced all four of them with new Bosch loop style plugs. The Bosch loop style plugs in the motor did not seem that old. One had a completely broken loop.

After replacing them the car was starting reliably. I know there is an upgrade but do not mind the amount of time it takes to glow. In comparison my 82 240D starts in the blink of an eye. I realize it has the pencil style plugs.

This morning was our first "cold" morning in SEPA (about 50 out). I pulled the know out and let it glow but the motor seemed to be cranking for a while - say 20 seconds while trying to start.

On a morning like this my 82 240D will start in maybe 1 second. Basically as soon as soon as the motor turns its firing.

Is this normal for a OM616 with loop style plugs? Do i need to be glowing it longer than just what the salt shaker shows? I haven't done a compression test but did adjust the valves last weekend and the motor runs pretty much flawlessly. Will start immediately after sitting for a week in the garage. Does not leak much if any oil and honestly hasn't burned a drop of oil in the 1k miles I've put on it since acquiring. It does not shake really at all unless the AC is on.

2nd Question

The shifter (4 speed manual) rattles horribly going down the road in all gears at a certain rpm. There is also ALOT of play in just the 3 - 4 gear positions side to side.

I checked under the car and the bushings look to be in good shape down there. What am I missing that could cause this?

Thanks!