View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
I'm wondering why someone would go on a long trip and ignore the fact that glow plugs are bad. I've never owned a 190. Are those plugs exceptionally difficult to access?

Also, once the 1st plug goes (on a 617), the remaining plugs are soon to follow. I have changed 1 plug as a stop gap measure even reusing one from the parts box - but only as a temporary measure. Glow plugs are too cheap and easy to let them cause problems.
NDT is the test method which usually indicated one or more plugs are tested to the fail point. For an example...

1000 glow plugs are run. Two, three, five or 10 of them are glowed repeatedly until they fail. A predetermined limit is either met or not. That limit may be 1000 glow cycles or 100 glow cycles or any other number according to how great the quality of glow plugs the manufacturer want to meet.

You can bet your booty that if a manufacturer sets a low number of GP to burn up in testing and or requires the pass a low number of glow cycles the plugs will be junk and you're making a poor choice if you buy them.

If a company sets a goal of manufacturing glow plugs which are high quality the number of GPs tested and the number of cycles it takes to burn them out will be reflected in the product.

Either way, if one goes bad the others in that lot won't be much better. Anyone who depends on backups from the last GP change better be heading home to change them all when he gets there.

Glow plugs are too cheap to risk burning up a starter and the trouble of having to replace it on a w126. I get a new set once a year.
95 318ic