View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 PM

You would have to do some fluid pump research to see what type is more efficient then back that info into what fuel pump to use. I'd probably just use another MB pump to eliminate replumbing or would go with a common / universal external pump.

Some pump designs are more noisy that others so take that into account as well. If you FI system has the capability, slow pump speed down at low fuel requirements to reduce noise, save pump wear and alternator load.

I'm not sure what you mean by " rolling cam " and describing it as vane.

There are 3 vane type fluid pumps I know of Roller Vane , Straight Vane and Slipper. Vane. All of these pumps tend to be noisy due to pulsation.

Roller Vane uses a rotating star with rollers in the slots, this was what Bosch / VW used for D jet and probably L jet.

Straight Vane has slots and square vanes, this is common on GM and other power steering pumps.

Slipper is like a straight vane but has wider " vanes " and springs to force the slippers out. This is found on 60's Ford and Chrysler power steering pumps. ( At least one uses this style and the other might not. )

Geo rotor is a gear in gear pump similar to a traditional auto trans pump.

Turbine has actually been around along time for OE applications. Turbine is a centrifugal type pump. Single turbines are used for low pressure , I've seen double for higher pressure.

At least in the mid 90's , MB ( Bosch ) pumps where rotary screw like a industrial air compressor. This is probably the quietest.