View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM

oily condensation in passenger side distributor cap only

is there an Ignition Distributor Rotor Adapter Seal [the rotor adapter goes through the base of a fiberglass cup and attaches to the camshaft via a 5mm Allen bolt] for Mercedes 500SL 119.960 engine ?
I've found a lot of oily condensation in only one of the two distributor caps.
And there was some rust deposit on the rotor adapter where it passes through a fairly tight hole [behind the fiberglass cup that mates up with the distributor cap] that looks like it might be a seal before attaching to the camshaft.
The classic benz mechanic at a reputable local benz dealer says that there is no seal -- that the distributors on the 500SL are known for collecting a lot of condensation because it is poorly designed -- but there are vent slits on the bottom of the newer distributor caps that I just replaced 4 years ago, so how can that be, and why is only the passenger side wet and the driver side is bone dry ?

I am also having heat-soak, no run, no spark issues after the 500SL engine compartment gets hot -- within 5 to 10 miles, the engine bogs down, looses power, and quits running when the engine slows down to idle speed, and then wont restart, but might make popping sounds [through the intake?] while laying on the starter, and pumpping the gas pedal trying to start it, until the battery wont turn the engine over -- its a new battery - had to have it flat bedded home. started up and ran fine the next day. runs great cold, then dies when it gets hot.

But now there is no spark -- have even changed out the crank sensor, cam sensor, over-voltage protection relay and almost all ignition parts except for coils and the EZL ICM /ign control module.

fuel distributor was rebuilt 4 years ago, which fixed the heat soak wont run when it gets hot problem back then -- it ran great for 22 years, according to the previous owner. -- could a rebuilt fuel distributor's o-rings fail in 4 years time when the originals lasted 22 years ?? fuel pressure is good, through out.

I was trying to fix the heat-soak/hot-stall problem for 6 months now, and now I have an ignition problem to fix before getting back to the hot-stall problem. Sheesh.

any experience MB guys out there with possible answers would be greatly appreciated.