View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
I'm presently doing quite a bit of research into home security systems. I've learned several things so far. One, there is a BIG difference in quality between home security products and COMMERCIAlL (business use) grade security products.

Think Kia versus Mercedes Benz. One's cardboard crap, the other the gold standard.

Ditto on security cameras. outdoor cameras are exposed to the weather, i.e. ice, rain, sun, etc. Do you want to risk your family's safety on made in china junk? What is the old saying? GO BIG OR GO HOME????

That's a valid thought. There is outdoor and outdoor though... I don't have a need for a camera/enclosure that would be truly exposed - my only external application is a porch which is really quite sheltered. If I had a proper external application these would be really too consumer-grade for that application. I'm more interested in deploying these inside the house and garage.

My home network has a sophos firewall/router, multiple wireless APs (4 total) - 2 of which are a mesh setup.

Current network is a single subnet, but I was already thinking of moving the voip onto a different subnet.