View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Thank you all lots to address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by if6was9 View Post
If you haven't done or aren't doing them regular your best bet is to get yourself a suitable dial indicator and a magnetic stand for it.

The factory specs are pretty precise and the ability of the average wrench to determine if an installation is definatively within the specs is a serious challenge.

Doesn't cost much to alter the wheel bearing to what might be a better position but you've mentioned the vehicle is older and might be sitting on its original suspension parts. It might be worth it to get the car up on a lift and give the suspension a good going over before you start spending too much on any particular part/s. There are more that a few places that the front suspension can be worn and loose contributing to a sloppy steering feel.

Best advice is to access a Factory Service Manual which Mercedes at one point made available on line. That way you can get a basic idea of where you're going with addressing these kind of issues.
if6was9 - you make a good point, dial indicator is cheaper than I expected and maybe worth it for peace of mind given the age. I read through some of the FSM from the w124zone site but did not see too much on testing suspension. Is there anything I can physically tighten (rubber parts are degrading and need outright replacement) to get me through a few more months? Need to pass a safety inspection and december is a poor time for a suspension rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillytwotank View Post
Are you checking for play with the wheel and tire back on it are you grabbing at the brake rotor and feeling this play?
Philly, I am checking both. i was more rotating the hub/wheel (push top pull bottom or reverse) instead of pulling in and out as the FSM indicates. I tried side to side as well but the wheels just turn...

As for the rest of folks, I did the finger tight, back it off, then just tight enough that the somewhat triangular washer can be moved by hand.

I don't hear any specific bearing noises while driving but it sounds worthwhile to get a dial indicator and measure the thing