View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah-kay View Post
It could be simple or serious. Injector dripping or rod knock. I would do the simple things first.

1) loosen one injector at a time and see whether the noise go away.

2) if you have an injector tester, pressure test them for spraying pattern. A dripping injector would give tapping or knocking noise. Btdt. It happened to my 617 and 603 engines.

3) do a compression test.

I would not worry about the timing chain stretch or valve for now. Good luck.
1. Did that, loosened far enough to create miss in each cylinder. Noise remained unchanged. Do I need to loosen the injectors further than that, to be able to tell?

2. I don't have an injector tester, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or more injectors was leaking. But I thought the test I did--loosening the injectors--would make the noise go away if it's caused by injectors.

3. I thought compression testing before setting valve lash would be a waste of time. Surely incorrect valve lash would somewhat reduce compression. Judging by the condition of the clear fuel filter, I honestly doubt if any maintenance has been done on this car in years. And also, I own feeler gauges, but don't own a diesel compression tester.