View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang508 View Post
I'm having trouble getting my shims to fit back in on my axles that I bought from carquest. It appears that they are radius cut and the shims do not slide onto the axle facing and lay flat. Is there anything wrong with me taking the shims to a machine shop and have them carve out the very edge of the inside diameter? I also need shims that are smaller than what the Mercedes dealership offers. The minimum size they can give me is 1 mm but I need less than that, around 0.80. Can a machine shop fix this too?
Member Stretch (formally called Army) had to do the same and a little more.
You can remove some of inner ring on the spacer so that it slide over your aftermarket axle and fits flat against where it is supposed to but reusing the old spacer does not guarantee the thickness will work with the aftermarket axle.
I remember someone had an issue were no spacer was the right thickness. They bought slightly thicker spacer and had it surface ground at a machine shop to the desired thickness. This is easy because they just throw the spacer on top of a magnetic chuck and turn on the electro magnet and the magnetism holds the spacer down while they surface grind it thinner.

I am not sure I understand the below method to determine what thickness you need.

Rear Axle Spacers how to measure what thickness you need or to be machined from them-
"Post #23 “I called the dealer and found out that while they have a selection of spacer thicknesses they did not stock one thin enough to fit my GSP's.
I measured the gap between the inner diff housing and the snap ring slot using a feeler gauge with the axle pushed all the way into the diff“..

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/262186-gsk-axles-not-worth-no-matter-how-low-price.html