View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Ok, Third update and success!! I picked up a hook tool seal remover and after work, I was able to pull the original pinion seal out of the differential with no trouble at all. Before it started raining and I had to quit, I was able to clean the seal seating surface and inspect it, no scratches, gouges, etc. No metal filings by the pinion bearing itself, all looks good. I test fitted the seal to the flange and the differential and it looks like it will be a nice snug fit. I was going to put the seal in, but like I said, it started raining too hard. So, when I do get to put in the seal, anything unusual or any tips I need to know about. I plan on coating the outer edge of the seal and the bore it goes in with a little clean gear oil, I also plan on putting some green Permatex RTV on the flange splines and pinion splines for sealing. To put it in I have some 3" PVC that fits the outer portion of the seal perfectly and will use that along with a hammer to tap it into place. The old seal did not have any visible tears or nicks, but it was as hard as a rock after all these years and miles, so that was most likely the cause of the leak (I hope).
1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 196K (kids)
1994 Ford F150 4WD 249K (firewood hauler)
1983 Mercedes 300D 376K (diesel commuter)