View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
That must be the lower bolt? Is there room to pound a hammer? You're screwed if it was the upper bolt. Pull engine/tranny?
I had to deal with that issue yesterday and I am looking through old threads to see what others might have done.

(Drilling holes in the fire wall is not a new idea. I vaguely remember someone else doing it and people were not happen with him for doing that. Could have been on another forum; I can't remember.)

I removed the interior stuff and approximated where the Starter Bolts were and drilled small holes and stuck a wire threw them to see if I had drilled it so I could get at the bolts. I was off with both and had to drill others.

When I thought I had it I used a hole saw and cut holes in the fire wall. (Note you need to pay attention to what is on the other side. On the upper hole the Bodwen Cable on mine was behind where I cut the hole. However, I knew that and moved it out of the way while cutting.)

I had not taken an better measurements to pass on but I put the ruler up there when I took the picture so there is at least an approximation of where the holes go.

So the lower hole was close enough there was no issue. With the upper hole even with a wobble extension it was at too much of an angle and the allen head socket did not stay inside of the bolt head. I used a rotary file on a Drill Motor and lowered the hole.

At that point I was thinking of what others had done and they spoke of pounding in a Thorx into it. What I found is that a T55 ThorX fit pretty much the same as the allen socket but since it had a different shape I gave it a try and it worked.

I have a set of the external ezie-outs but never tied to use them as Thorx worked.
Note that I did not have the next size up from the T55 Thorx to know if that could have been pounded in with a tight fit.

So anyway of the upper bolt is stripped out you can drill a hole through the fire wall and have a good shot at removing it.

Note that I also had to drill out the Phillips head screws that held the Starter Solenoid to the Starter after which I managed to misplace the solenoid and at this time I have yet to seriously look for it. Note the Solenoid acted as if it was shot it would no longer click and I found nothing inside of the Starter that would have held it up.
Attached Thumbnails
stripped hex on OM617 Starter bolts! Igotit!-fire-wall-drilled-get-starter-bolts.jpg