View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 02:37 AM
Conservative

Well...I'll get the truck delivered in the morning. It's on a trailer, about 2 miles from the house. The driver called around 8 last night to tell me he was here, but needed to get some sleep before unloading it, which is understandable.

After talking with our son, he told me that the ABS stopped working when he put 35s on the rims. NHes not certain if he's got 4 wheel or 2 wheel ABS. 4 wheel was standard on the Lariat package, and optional on other trim packages. I'll easily find out if I see wires going to the front hub.

I have some research to do...I need to find out if I need to swap out a VSS gear, or if I need to flash the computer to match the tires. Either remedy should work to bring the ABS back to life. Our 250s have rear only ABS, so this is a bit different than what I'm used to. In those trucks, the only time the ABS light comes on is when they're loaded heavy...last time was when i had thirty, 80lb bags of concrete in the bed. The ABS light stayed on the entire 25 miles back to the house, but was fine after we unloaded it. I have no concerns not having ABS, since I've owned and learned to drive in trucks not equipped with the system. I'm just going to have to deal with a blasted light on the dash until I fix it.

I picked up a matching set of stock rims to put a set of pizza cutter tires on for snow use...$50, from a local seller. I'll get them cleaned up and painted before the tires go on. They're alloys, with some corrosion, so painting them will be needed. The 35x12.5 tires that's on it, mud tires, aren't good in Ohio snow. They can't dig down to the road surface like the thinner tires can.

I called my local indy yesterday to schedule a multipoint check, oil change, and have him look it over. He's a Ford nut. I sent him a picture of it and he offered me twice what the shipping cost is for it. I laughed him off, of course. He's been trying to buy one of our other trucks from me for awhile...one came from AZ and there other from UT, and other than the bed wheel wells, both have super clean frames, which is rare around here. The fact that both are mechanically nearly perfect makes him offer to buy one anytime he sees it.

This truck has cost me roughly $1300 to ship, plus title swap and tags. I'm considering working with the guy that is bringing it to me to haul other trucks here to be cleaned up and sold. If I can sell them with a decent but fair markup, which shouldn't be much of an issue, I should be able to make a pretty penny. Of course, that will only happen if we continue with a good economy, with folks needing good trucks for cheap. Ah...who am I kidding? I'd probably end up owning 20 trucks with no desire to sell any of them. LOL

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.