View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 04:12 AM
Conservative

I've put about 75 miles on since getting it off the trailer. I took it to my mechanic for a free scan yesterday. After reading the codes and looking in his personal 25 year log book, he figured out why my son couldnt get it to pass Cali emissions, and told me what it needed...a new coupler for the PCV line at the rear of the manifold. I ran to the 'Zone and spent $8.99 for the coupler, and will try to get to it today or tomorrow. He also handed me the part i need to get the front hubs to lock in again...a vacuum valve that sits on top of the front diff. No charge on that part, either. He'll get the truck in a few weeks to repair the ABS wire that was pulled when it was lifted up to put the 35s on...when the lift kit was put on, they didnt extend the ABS wire enough. $105 job for him that keeps me from sitting on the ground too long.

My son had a box for a10" sub put in behind the front seat that I'm going to replace with one that fits under the rear...i just need to build it. I swapped the head unit yesterday with a Kenwood single din that has bluetooth. It matches what i have in both 250s, as well as the R107...it has a remote, so i don't need to take my eyes off the road.

Even with 200k on the clock, it pulls strong on takeoff. as well as the highway. I need to read the diff tag and check the gearing. It feels like the other trucks, which both have 4:10 ratio. The tires are at the cusp of what i would run with this gearing. The next set of tires will bev33" Falken mud tires, which have a much quieter lug design...these BFG's will wear me out on an extended trip with the noise and vibration.

When my son had the exhaust done, he used high flow cats, a single out MagnaFlow, and dumped it out side before the passenger rear tire. It has a nice note that isn't offensive to the neighborhood. I like the rumble it gives...and the drone in the cab is hardly noticeable.

Looking at the paint, i think the whole truck needs a bed-on re-spray. Ill talk with my brother's neighbor, who does bodywork in his barns, about the job. I can do all the body and prep work, i just need a maestro with a spray gun and s0ace to do it for me.

It will go for $4000 here, and $5000 in PA, in it's current state, with a little cleaning. I'm south of $1500 into it, and think that i can go another $2k before i hit my total investment limit, so i know what I have to work his quote down to...and I'm willing trade him his work for a compressor i have in my brother's barn, if he is. That would keep money in my budget for some custom details.

I really dig having this truck. I've already gotten many positive comments, along with two negative comments from the liberal ladies at Starbucks...LOL