View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Giants View Post
In my experience finding a good example has become an expensive proposition. We did acquire one, a E300D 2.5.

That car needed glow plugs, but when my hex key broke off inside the the intake manifold bolt, I officially called it quits in diesels. I went through hell with sheared intake manifold bolts on my 1997 E300D already.

I can find clean gassers all day long, plus honestly the gas engines are much simpler to work on and diagnose.

Currently I'm looking at two different W124 gasers

One M103 Sedan and one M104 powered wagon, which ever runs, drives, and stops better I will take home.
I'm not sure I understand the reason why you'd ask this question? If you're expecting aging cars 25 to 30 years old to be trouble and maintenance free, you're mistaken. Same thing if you're expecting parts and labor to be cheap. If I couldn't do most all the maintenance of my Mercedes-Benz' myself? I wouldn't own one. I'd lease some new micro subcompact econobox. Your signature identifies your Daily Driver as a 22 year old Ford with nearly 300,000 miles on it. That said, I'm at a loss as to why you feel these old Mercedes are such bad cars?

I've been wrenching on lawn mowers, cars and motorcycles since I was 16 years old. Mercedes diesels for almost 50 years. I've yet to see the problem with them.....