View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Giants View Post
a E300D 2.5.

That car needed glow plugs, but when my hex key broke off inside the the intake manifold bolt, I officially called it quits in diesels. I went through hell with sheared intake manifold bolts on my 1997 E300D already.

If that's enough to put you off an old diesel then forget about a gasser or any old mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Giants View Post
I can find clean gassers all day long, plus honestly the gas engines are much simpler to work on and diagnose.

Currently I'm looking at two different W124 gasers

One M103 Sedan and one M104 powered wagon, which ever runs, drives, and stops better I will take home.

If they check tailpipe emissions where you live then don't get a gasser.

if buying an M103 then get one that's 1990 or newer (good camshaft, good guides, no pre-cats)

M103 is not problem or maintenance free but they're cheap, smooth, quiet, faster than diesels

plus they don't have a vacuum pump, a turbo or an oil cooler (many lost their diesels due to a busted hose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude99 View Post
I'll never touch another m103. Getting that damned CIS system to run right is just a nightmare.

90% of m103 running problems are caused by the ignition system or vacuum leaks. Almost every part of it will need replacement sooner or later. Cleaning the cap is a monthly job.

having done close to 100k miles in m103 powered cars the problems with cis were not that expensive or difficult to fix: badly spraying injectors (new bosch are only $20 each shipped), a leaking EHA valve ($15 used at a pick&pull ~$300 new), plugged fuel filter, o2 sensor (cheap fox body mustang one works)