View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 10:43 AM

How I found 560's and learn to love them.

Dear friends, that's how I think of all of you out there. I found this site a few months back, when looking for information on 560sl's. I have bougth an 1988 560sl with 142,000 miles on its clock.
It all started when I decided to get an MG. I knew that they were discontinued a few years back, but as MG's had been my first cars (before I got marriedand became "responsible") and I had loved them dearly, I decided that I wanted to go back to them. I no longer required a sedan, My children are grown, my wife has her SUV, and I had a plain vanilla Taurus.
I found a few MG's, and was excited again, until I went to see the one I liked best and tried to get in. What a let down. It turns out I no longer fit in one. I had forgotten that I was no longer the slim, happy and handsome guy I was. my waist is now a hefty 40 as opposed to a 28, and even though I am not tall, I felt cramped.
This could not do. What to do? I wanted a sport convertible, to feel the wind in my face, to race up and down a winding road with a blonde's hair streaming back from the side seat, while laughing like a madman with the exhilaration of it all, to drive down fitfth ave at 6am, top down on a crisp spring morning, no cars around (it's sunday) coming back from Jones beach after an all nigth party...
And so, I found the 560's. Now, here is something! The cars are beautiful, the lines perfect, the engines are strong and powerful. I was in love. I was not concerned with mileage, I figured these cars to be well mantained. Nobody buys an expensive car to trash it.
Of course, if I want the blond by my side, I have to have my wife put on a wig. But that is of little consequence, she is beatiful, and the wig fits just rigth.
And I can ride this car!! with the top down, in a sunny day, up and down blue mountain, bear mountain and West point. This is great.
Of course, my children are disgusted with the attention I give my car. (They are forbidden to touch it).
I have now 152000 miles on the clock. All I had to do to it was carry maintenance, change oil and transmission fluid, change the soft top (It was good, but my son decided to open it on a cold day, the plastic cracked), put new tires, and that was it.
But I have begun to worry. I read so many things in this board. I am now worried about the timing chain. My car runs beautiful. The engine purrs, starts at first try even in the coldest winter day, after staying out all nigth, buried in snow. Everything works as it should. I have had up to a 100mph with no effort, and didn't go faster because I am a chicken. I am a firm believer in the adage "Ïf it's not broken, don't fix it", yet, in this case, if it breaks, it's too late.
So, I'll finish here for now. I will post a picture of my "beautiful" as soon as I find out how to do it, meanwhile, my best regards to all of you, and please, if you find the time, let me know your story.

chau.