View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyl604 View Post
Looks like I might need an alternator bracket for the SD. Does anyone have one cheap? SD is at Pep Boys and they say they cannot install a new belt because the existing bracket is bent and the alternator will not move far enough to install the belt.

Just thinking ahead. Would be sent to Atlanta.

Thx.
I think your Alternator Bracket is the same as a W123 but I am not sure.

It simply could be they don't know how to do it properly.

If they just turn the tensioner nut something is going to bend or break. The need to loosen the 17mm Nut on the large bolt and maybe loosen the Nut on the bolt where the bracket attaches to the cast aluminum frame bolted tot he block.

In the picture the tensioner rod (which is bent a bit) is unscrewed from the tensioner adjustment nut which is hard to see. The nut is retained by bent sheet metal ears which can also bend if the 17mm Nut shown at the bottom of the picture is not loosed before you use the tensioner nut.

Anther common problem is the Tensioner nut gets rusted to the threads and snaps that thin tensioner rod.

In any event if that tensioner rod is out of the nut or it snapped off once the 17mm Nut is loose you can move/pivot the alternator by other means just as you do with alternators that don't have a tensioner.

The key to the thing is that 17mm nut has to be loose before you use the tensioner and then after the Alternator/Belt is adjusted that 17mm Bolt needs to be tightened to lock it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Might need alternator bracket 1981 300SD-alternator-bracket-tensioner-bolt-2019.jpg