View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 09:03 PM

Rust is the floor pans. All of them under the feet of the passengers.

Now, having been in Texas is a plus. But rust on these cars starts on the bottom of the floor pans and the tops.

The floors start to rust due to the then practice of dealers of undercoating everything. This rubber type stuff hardens, cracks, and traps water. Where it sits and just turns the metal to rust. So that is rust from the bottom.

Rust from the top starts when the driver and passenger get in and their feet are wet or covered with snow. This just sits there and seeps into cracks in the mastic that was sprayed into the floors at the factory as a means of soundproofing. So that is rust from the top.

I have found this in all four seating positions in one car or another. The only way I have found to deal with it is to cut it out and install a non-rusted floor pan part. This is really very easy if you have a good, clean part.

I have seen cars with a patch of fiberglass layered into the floors. This gives you a solid floor but it is a temp fix and the rust that is not cut out will continue to eat at the car.

Look also for rust in the well of the spare tire. This part can be replaced and I think new metal is still available but the last new patch I saw for this was almost $650. And that would be with you cutting out the old and installing the new metal.

These also rust around the windshield rubber. There is no cure except to replace the weatherstripping around the window. This is not difficult but it takes forever.