View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 03:35 PM
E300d 1995

95 E300D front sunroof seal not available 'what to do?'

Question, is there another source for the front sunroof seal?

Part # 124-782-04-98

Question 2, Since we don't use the sunroof, do y'all think the best solution is to have the sunroof completely removed and the opening made flush with the top?

Question 3, the original rubber seal for the doors and trunk are soft and show no sign of failing. Can these typically be removed and reused? Mercedes door seals are pricey.

Reason for asking:

Recently made a long driving trip in the E300D. Prefer it over the newer Prius due to comfort and quietness.

So we had a daily reminder that the appearance due to major clear coat failure needs improvement. 'Boss' tells me from time to time that even though I was born an 'okie' doesn't mean it's ok show it.

Feeling it's time to consider painting and keeping the car instead of replacing with a later model year. Also, the headliner needs to be done.

Part of the paint prep work I've been asked to do is to 'strip' the car as much as possible'. One place said the new clear coat edge needs to be in areas that are not susceptible to 'power washer' peeling 'so the trim has to come off '.

Estimated cost:

headliner labor & material $500 - $600

Paint hood and roof - $1,000

Paint hood, roof, trunk lid, plus body from ' pin stripe up ' $1,500

Paint entire car - 1st estimate $9,500 best shop
2nd estimate $3,500 good shop
3rd estimate $3,000 private guy with good rep

All use PPG paint

If younger I'd just sell the car ' as is ' with my spare parts and buy a newer low mileage car. Just don't want to go through the learning curve and mess with all the electronics and complexity and parts cost for the later model years.
Attached Thumbnails
95 E300D front sunroof seal not available 'what to do?'-img_0634.jpg   95 E300D front sunroof seal not available 'what to do?'-img_0635.jpg   95 E300D front sunroof seal not available 'what to do?'-img_0636.jpg   95 E300D front sunroof seal not available 'what to do?'-img_0637.jpg   95 E300D front sunroof seal not available 'what to do?'-img_0638.jpg