View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 05:21 PM

Ok, now you've got me digging like an excited dog determined to find that buried bone, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
If your battery is in the engine bay, move it to the trunk or under the rear seat if you want battery longevity. Under the hood, you can expect 4-5 years in a Texas climate maximum. Doesn't matter what kind of battery you run, the thermal cycling kills them. They'll generally die peak of summer or beginning of winter. Batteries located inside the car are exposed to a more stable temperature pattern (and lack the extreme heat of the engine bay) and typically last 5-10 years.
For my 1983 300D, I have an Interstate MTP-49/H8 under the hood. About a US $225 battery these days. I have successfully used this specific Interstate model for many years. Car *ALWAYS* garaged and a block heater run for 3-4 hours nearly every time before the car has been driven - a real garage queen! Rarely parked outside for more than a couple of hours. Under these circumstances, the typical life of the battery has been 4 to 4.5 years. In 2 weeks, the current battery will have been in the car for 4 years and 5 months. Every time I go to drive it, I wonder if I'm going to find the telltale dim glow light and starter "clunk clunk" when attempting to start the engine.

So...and I certainly do not mean to be confrontational about this...you are suggesting that if the battery was inside the car, a potentially much longer battery life would be expected? Good news, yes, but I do wonder how much I could improve on how the battery is so well taken care of already.

Last edited by dogguy; 12-15-2020 at 12:18 PM.