View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogguy View Post
So...and I certainly do not mean to be confrontational about this...you are suggesting that if the battery was inside the car, a potentially much longer battery life would be expected? Good news, yes, but I do wonder how much I could improve on how the battery is so well taken care of already.
There are a few relevant comparisons that can be made:

1: Euro vs. US R107's. Euro's have the battery under the hood. US have them in the trunk. The Euro's go through batteries about like any other car with the battery under the hood. The US models typically last a couple years longer. My '83 500SL Euro eats batteries like any other car of the era since the battery is sitting just up above the exhaust manifold in the back of the engine bay.

2: Early vs. Late W124's. Earlier 124's had the battery in the engine bay like any other MB of the era. Late 94/95 models had the battery relocated to the trunk. Again, the trunk-mounted batteries do last longer than the engine-bay mounted ones.

3: Just about any W210 or later MB has the battery under the rear seat or elsewhere in the car. It's not unusual for them to get 8+ years out of a quality battery. As another personal bulletpoint, my '94 E34 BMW is this way, the battery from the PO is from 2014 and still solid. No AGM, it's just a standard Duralast Gold lead-acid from Auto-Zone.

Many things play into the lifespan of a battery, but there are a few things that very negatively affect their lifespan:
- Deep discharge. Never let the battery run flat if you can ever help it. Keep your engine healthy so it starts easily.
- Unhealthy charging system. If your alternator is weak, fix it.
- Heat. Underhood batteries, especially in hot climates live shorter lives than protected batteries.
- Rough terrain. Just like anything else mechanical, batteries can be damaged by excessively rough roads or repeated exposure to excessive vibration.
- Build quality. Cheap batteries have to cut the cost somewhere. That's usually the quality and quantity of lead in the battery itself. Pick up a premium battery and a discount one of the same "size". The premium battery will be considerably heavier. If you have the ability to pick up batteries from various brands when shopping, always buy the heaviest one. It'll have the most lead and the best internal build quality.
- If the battery you have is a standard flooded lead-acid battery, check the fluid level every 6 months. If low, top up with distilled water (never use tap or spring water, you'll ruin the battery). Avoid "maintenance free" batteries that are not AGM, they lack inspection caps.

Black Sheep:
1985 524TD 167K (TotalDumpster™)

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 300SDL (RIP)
1991 350SD
1991 560SEL
1990 560SEL
1986 500SEL Euro (Rusted to nothing at 47K!)