View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 07:09 PM

You're kind to share all of this good information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
My '83 500SL Euro eats batteries like any other car of the era since the battery is sitting just up above the exhaust manifold in the back of the engine bay.
I've noticed on a 1985 W123 how M-B put a heat shield left of the battery to provide some protection from the nearby exhaust system. I figured those M-B engineers wouldn't have done so if they didn't think they needed to.

Quote:
Deep discharge. Never let the battery run flat if you can ever help it. Keep your engine healthy so it starts easily.
I don't drive my 1983 nearly as much as I used to but at least once a week and make certain to get the engine up to operating temperature. Even this may not be often enough though.

Quote:
- Unhealthy charging system. If your alternator is weak, fix it.
Check.

Quote:
- Heat. Underhood batteries, especially in hot climates live shorter lives than protected batteries.
I can personally attest to the truth of this.

Quote:
- Build quality. Cheap batteries have to cut the cost somewhere. That's usually the quality and quantity of lead in the battery itself. Pick up a premium battery and a discount one of the same "size". The premium battery will be considerably heavier. If you have the ability to pick up batteries from various brands when shopping, always buy the heaviest one. It'll have the most lead and the best internal build quality.
Fascinating!

Thanks again!