View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 04:20 PM

I would think they would have insurance that would cover this. Most business liability insurance policies I've seen have an errors and omissions provision that covers this type of incident. In the early 1980s a technician at the Volvo dealership in Houston, TX, incorrectly installed a valve spring which ended up causing the piston to strike the valve and causing all sorts of engine problems with my cousin's 1969 Volvo 164. The dealership made a claim on their insurance. Initially the insurance wanted to total the car, but my cousin pestered them a bit and they ended up covering the cost to repair the car.

I also remember a story from a member here who took a w210 diesel to an independent garage to either change the glow plugs or remove a stuck glow plug (I can't remember which) and the independent shop screwed up the head in the process. I seem to recall the shop's insurance covered it, but they may have totalled the car.

I think I would want to nail down with them exactly how they plan to handle themselves if they can't successfully drill out the broken plug before authorizing them to try to drill it out. It rather seems to me that they are doing now (explaining/warning that expensive repairs may be occasioned by the work they are about to undertake) what they should have done before they started the job in the first place. Personally, I'd be wary of authorizing anything in writing or verbally now that they may later attempt to claim waives liability for their initial error.

Good luck and sorry that happened.
'85 Mercedes 300SD (smoke silver/burgundy)
'79 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

'05 Toyota Camry (because always running is nice)

'85 Mercedes 300D sold back to orig. owner 8-1-06
'84 Volvo 264GL Diesel, owned 2000-2013