View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Happy with Mercedes

Yes - this worked well - Filter changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Gary:
NO you don't need to remove the glove box light on a 210. YES you do jerk it out by the lid, there is no other place to pull. I have had days where I have done this 3 or 4 times (gravy days, lot's of B services) and I have never ever damaged a glovebox. When I first started changing these, I did scratch up a wood spear above the box though, and because of this I now highly discourage any prying at all. The secret (come closer so everyone doesn't know "the secret", sssshhhhh) is to JERK it out, don't just pull and whine like a sissy boy, just a good clean JERK. Just as long as you're sure you got all the screws out, the ones that go in vertically on each side of the glovebox light are the one's to make sure you got out. I usually place my left forearm on top of the open glovebox door, my hand over on the right side of the door, then I use this hand plus my right hand on the right side of the door, in sort of a "bracing" position and give it one good jerk, that'll pop it right out. Anymore I don't even disconnect the wire for the glovebox, just let it hang and change the filter.
Gilly
I was the "Sissy" whimpering and wondering, how will I get this out? But followed these directions and all worked, just as described. The biggest fear I had was to break the door. The door did not break, I took the right side (the passenger side) out first.

Thank you so much.

'86 560SL (186K) - Now a 'classic' : Registered as an Historic Vehicle
02 E430 in the stable
'14 LS460 (Lexus)
- - - - -
'95 E420 (198K) found a new home
'99 E320 (80K) (gave it's life for me as we hit a bumper)
'95 E420 (231K) Sold to a happy buyer, new to Mercedes
'90 300E (65K) Sold to an Mercedes Lover
'92 190E (215K) - retired to the salvage yard
'93 500SEL (214K) - Moved to another family, still runs like a young pup