View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Vintage Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by berfinroy View Post
On the other hand, the best 280SEL 3.5 or 4.5 would probably go for 20% of the anticipated final price on this car, drives just as well and caries 4 people in splendid comfort (the back seat of the coupe and convertible 3.5s is very cramped).
The coupes and especially the convertible are the more certain investments, but you need to tie up a lot more money to get on board.
I never understood that. I never will. True car fans, IMO, can appreciate a vehicle regardless of doors. The convertible has a different purpose from the coupe or sedan - you can put the top down, and that has a huge tax to go along with it. But a 108 sedan vs a 111 coupe is just as beautiful, will catch just as many eyes on the road, rides the same (maybe better with LWB), handles the same (these cars aren't handlers, they're cruisers) and costs *SLIGHTLY* less to maintain without 111-specific tail lenses, bumpers, etc. The 4.5 feels essentially the same as the 3.5 (quicker if you put in the 3.5 rear end), it's the same engine with a longer stroke.

This is also what I am getting from a lot of other people my age. The "2 doors better" seems to be a prior-generation thing. Car fans around 40 or younger don't care about doors, which means now would be the time to buy a sedan, because they are getting harder to find and will appreciate in value. 10 years ago 108s were not worth restoring, because you'd be lucky to get $8-10k out of them if you put $6-10k into them. Now, forget it. 10 years ago, 6.3s in great shape were $15-25k (and $25k were superb vehicles). I strongly suspect that explosion in value will keep going.

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k