View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christuna View Post
The worst part about it is getting to the 2 back bolts.

The trick is to use a 3/8 wobble a small extension and a u-joint.

I did a few of these water pumps and by using this method it's relatively quick and painless.

I was able to get the front 2 and the rear lower just fine, but the upper rear that you can see through the intake was laughing at me, I could see it but the bolt on the back of the pump that hold the sealing plate(?) wasn’t allowing any combination of Wobblies and extensions to go on straight. I finally was able to move an ac line more out of the way and get to it but I spent more time then I’d like to admit at 1am trying to use a wrench through the intake runners only moving it 1/16 a turn at a time haha.

I get that a cheaper aftermarket part in most cases won’t fail right away. But I’d rather spend the extra $ with the expectations that the time it will be in working order will be more then the cheaper part for my time sake.
Your 100% that all parts do fail in time. But I have taken parts off my car that are dated so they show they were the original part. My car has almost 300,000 miles so these parts have seen use and like I said, I have been replacing purely out of preventative maintenance sake and boredom.
Years back I worked at a small independent European parts shop, and I saw the warranty rate of brands like Uro compared to a OE equivalent brand. Things like the water pump, that is a pain in the butt job, I’d rather spend more to get a better brand in the hopes to not have to do it sooner.
Is a eBay special $3 thermostat better then a broken one, totally. But if this snapped in a way to prevent it from opening up and cooking the engine then it would have been worth is to spend the extra 20. Could a Mercedes brand one break and do the same, sure but I think as car guys and gals we know which would have a faster fail rate.
Time is money, I’d rather replace something once every 5 years then five times in 5 years.

I agree, most stuff is gonna be made in China, can’t beat those wages, but I would assume for example behr quality control of their parts made in China would be better then China parts direct $3.99 special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk