View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 11:29 PM
Strich Acht

Well, that wasn't what I had in mind - W124 wagon suspension mishap

Today, I decided to investigate the nasty bang I've had coming from the passenger side of the rear suspension on my 1995 E320. The likely culprit was the sway bar link, but when I jacked the car up, the the link was fine. However, it was glaringly obvious what the actual problem was:

That's one extremely crusty push link! It also had a crack in it at the top edge as seen in the first photo. With that, I decided it was time to fit the new wheels I just got for the car - back to the originals instead of the 300E ones that came with the car.

Much improved!

I went to drive off and suddenly couldn't! Now, the passenger side rear wheel wouldn't turn more than a few degees. Parking brake on? Nope. What the heck.

I took the wheel back off and found this:

Aforementioned push link decided to pick that moment to shear completely in half! Seems I'm blessed with good luck in that it didn't shear going over a bump on the highway or something

So that was me getting a tow truck home

Now, my question. Anyone got a part number for this particular link? I've been looking on Rock Auto to order one here (the price is right!) but there's so many links in the listings I have no idea which one to go for!

Anyone got the knowledge? The rest of the links in the suspension are in fine condition so I'd rather not order the entire kit (also for cost purposes!)

Hope everyone else had a more successful trip home tonight

Thanks!