View Single Post
Old 06-07-2003, 10:17 PM

Engine Wiring Harness failures - 1995 E320 Coupe

I've seen several threads on failing engine wire harnesses on 1992-1995 E320's and would like to learn more about this since I recently purchased a 1995 E320 coupe w/127K miles. I've been told by one knowledgeable source that the reason for the deterioration of the wire insulation is because Mercedes actually designed the wire insulation in the harness to begin to decompose after the life expectancy of the car was exceeded. It turned out however that the chemical formulation used to produce the wire insulation is now actually decomposing at a much faster rate then intended by the design - which is the root cause of the harness problems occuring today.

If this is indeed the case - then Mercedes should - IMHO - be providing a remedy to all E320 owners who are experiencing this problem.

Will a failure of this harness result in any safety concerns. I would assume the potential exists for a short circuit possibly starting an under the hood fire - or causing the engine to stall out or shut down unexpectedly??

I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue - especially on whether or not MB is doing anything to remedy this problem