View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 10:43 PM

More photos as I salvage every part I might ever need. Considering cutting off the rear quarter panels since those are hard to find and idiots crunching your car there is common. I removed the sunroof assembly today. I took 2 photos of the overall sunroof as it was dropped from the ceiling, but gone from my phone, so just a few shots. I had left it mostly detached, hanging by the drain tubes and went in to get my phone, got distracted for 30 min, heard a bang outside and found it dropped on its own, so slightly bent the control cable tube (as shown), though not kinked so saving it. I show the tube temporarily attached to show it routes. Reinstalling the the sunroof assembly over that tube might be tricky since it bolts up to the rear and extends deep into the sunroof. To fool with that tube, you would need to remove the Given the turns, I doubt you could slide the tube aft much. You would likely need to angle the sunroof upward at the rear. Seems you would need to have either the front seats out or the windshield out to remove the sunroof assembly. Easy for me since no seats or doors.

The only way I worked the sunroof tube out was to detach it from the motor in the trunk. That requires opening the motor assembly and removing the drive gear to slide the tube holder out. The tube can then be pulled out forward. Most people would never need to replace it, just the cable inside which pulls out after driving it forward with the motor. Many here worry about the rubber drain tubes at each corner. The rubber was still flexible and like new in this 1983, which apparently was last in San Francisco (minimal summer sun). Some say you could poke a hole when cleaning the sunroof drains, but the rubber is very thick so you would have to be forceful. I just use a jet of water. The aft tubes are very short as shown. The front tubes are ~2 ft long and exit in the door jamb (can see end of tube there).

One photo shows the dash with most parts out. That might help you understand how components attach. Many likely wondered how to remove the rain gutter trim and sunroof drains behind the rear doors. The trim pops off by prying it off at the bottom then sliding upward. Be careful where the front and aft section meet since there is a very thin metal rod under the black rubber top. It broke on one side (or already broken), but the trim is still useable. At the aft, under the trim is a flat plastic louver which covers the drain openings, secured by 3 plastic clips as shown. The clips have releases to remove from the body openings.

The horizontal trim below the sunroof drains is tricky to remove properly. I didn't figure it out until I had mangled the holes where the main part secures to the body with 3 sheet-metal screws. To get at the screwheads, you are supposed to detach the insert by sliding it aft so the square knobs align with the locking holes. Good luck. Even after getting it on the bench, I had to tap the square plastic locks thru the holes with a punch and hammer, so you would likely bend the insert it trying to properly pull it out.
Attached Thumbnails
1983 300D Tear-down Photos-20210306_181037-small.jpg   1983 300D Tear-down Photos-20210306_170622-small.jpg   1983 300D Tear-down Photos-20210306_113235-small.jpg   1983 300D Tear-down Photos-20210306_113126-small.jpg   1983 300D Tear-down Photos-20210306_113059-small.jpg  

Last edited by BillGrissom; 03-07-2021 at 11:15 AM.