View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 05:48 PM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
I’m with you in size, Mac. I liked the size of the older phones. Shirt pocket or bib overalls size. My seven is just wide enough to not easily slide into some shirt pockets. I can’t button any shirt with phone in the pocket. Photo is def secondary.

What gives me pause with me iPhones is the charging station. Induction looks cool but who wants to carry the clunky thing in the car? And they cost 5x.

Unfortunately for me, other cellphones’ software seem half-way designed and often counter-intuitive. My brothers have Samsungs I think and they say I’m full of crap, not really a significant discovery. It’s kind of funny that they hate on Apple anything so passionately. The fact is I’ve worked in Unix (Data General), C/PM, PC-Dos, and Windows, from 3.1.1. Yet I’ve always owned Macs for personal use. Same with cellphones. Yet my favorite cellphone ever was an Ericsson slide phone. It was a phone. Period. Eventually I got an iPhone when the Ericsson became totally obsolete and I know I was going to have to learn a smartphone. I knew from experience that Apple designs with the buyer’s intuition as the guide so I went with iPhone.

If you get the SE please post a review. My 7 is approaching obsolescence.
I had heard about Ericsson phones for years but never saw one. Then one day, I think it was '09 or '10, I popped into Radio Shack for something, a guy was demo-ing the Sony Ericsson TM506. He was showing that you could use it to tether your computer to the web. I liked the phone, everything about it seemed cool to me, the buttons, the size (small), the whole package.

I found out later that if you got the phone through T mobile (my carrier), it had a chip or something to prevent free tethering - you had to pay an extra $20 or so a month for it. But the Radio Shack model was not subject to that - was "unlocked." Had a plenty good camera. I liked it a lot, wore out 2 of them. Then a T Mobile telephone saleslady told me I could get a smart phone for less than I was paying for my plan at the time. It was worth the upgrade. While the TM506 tethered fairly well, actually using the web on the phone was really limited.

I realize now that I was comparing the size of the mini my to 1st gen SE with the otterbox inner case still attached. SE-1 is 5/16ths shorter than the mini, which is about 1/4 shorter than than the SE-2. The Otter box case made it look closer to the Mini than it actually is. This also informs us that the SE-1 is about 9/16ths shorter than the SE-2, not a trivial amount.

Another odd thing about the mini is the notched screen. It goes around the camera lens, or something. I understand that most all the apps needed to be updated to accomodate that, not sure if that is completed enough for the average user. I'm plenty happy with the SE-1 camera so that's not an issue. The mini camera doesn't have a dedicated zoom feature, not a huge issue for me though it sometimes comes in handy.

OTOH, just read that the mini has the A14 processor which is faster and more efficient (longer battery life) than the SE-2's A13. The mini battery is smaller so it might be a wash. Also, the mini supports 5G while the SE doesn't. Not sure about the significance of all of this. I will be happy to be set straight as I am often in need of that.