View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 10:44 PM
Renaissances Dude

This is my first exposure to that sort of do it yourself crimp. Thanks for the extra help. I've seen them certainly and I can see that the tool in box is used for those. I didn't understand the various studded looking things with the different colored plastic rings attaching them so I did a video search for using them. It's (mostly) all clear to me now. I didn't follow the "AC crimp" designation, didn't seem like a brand name - but now I see (I think), apparently they're used in refrigerant/air conditioning lines.

Using the Oeticker clamp ring to attach the stainless wire makes sense. The end of the AC crimp would push against it if it tried to slide off and it would be tricky to come up with a good attachment point for the wire on the crimped piece itself.

I'm assuming the crimps are made with some sort of zinc coated steel. There is a goldish colored plating I've seen a few times. All I really know about it is you shouldn't weld it. I got the impression that it's worse to weld than other zinc plating. But I can't imagine the crimps are made of brass. I get that many of the PEX crimps are made of copper, sort of amazing to me the way the stuff is reduced in diameter without distorting the round shape.