View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 03:04 PM

ABS/BAS/ESP - 430CLK 2003

Hi everyone, I did a search and read multiple, multiple post and threads on the oh-so-annoying “three amigo” issue. I literally have suffered with these for years. The car has been mostly sitting because of this. I have limited car DIY experience, and I tend to call parts “thingies”, which isn’t particularly helpful! I am also limited in $$$.

The lights come on immediately. I replaced the battery last July. I actually let the battery go dead this winter by not driving or starting the car as I should. Out of laziness, I got AAA to come jump it, which had no problems. He said right after jumping it it was at 14 V, so he was pleased with that, considering how long it had been dead.

I have replaced the brake lamp switch multiple times in the past 5 years. The first two times, it fixed the problem intermittently. After reading online, I am thinking of replacing the K40 relay.

Is this a good second step, after the brake lamp switch? I live in a rural area in northeast North Carolina, 1.5 hours from a dealership (which failed to fix the problem previously) and one hour from a reputable Mercedes mechanic. I truly do not want to have to drive with no brake lights that far. (As well, my plates are expired, but I can’t pass inspection with no brake lights). I can order a K40 relay for 180 bucks, but did not know if there was anything easier or cheaper to try first.

Thank you so much for any help in advance.

Maria